Friday, October 9, 2009

I'm Baaaaaack!

Wow. A whole month since my last post. It sure is hard to blog with no internet, folks.

You see, we MOVED! Same town, different house. And apparently the phone company was backed up and it took us longer than expected to have our phone and internet service transferred to our new location.

The transition went pretty smooth, except for the fact that everything was moved with multiple trips in an SUV, a pickup truck, and a metal trailer on a hitch. In the rain. With tarps. The only thing missing was Granny Clampett in a rocking chair.

But now that we're settled (for the most part), I will be back to my regular blogging schedule, whatever that may be. And our days are becoming easier around here, except for the fear of Swine Flu and Macy's pediatrician ordering us to be on Home Confinement for 1-2 weeks until it dies down. So she and I are staying hidden away from all the drama at the moment. After all, we've had enough excitement to last us a while...

Case in point: Our very first day in the new house went like this:

Woke up to more rain. Wondered where my toothbrush was. Noticed I needed to go to the bank before it closed. Decided to go before I found my toothbrush, considering I was only going through the drive-thru. Hit a squirrel on my way back home. Cried because my vehicle had slaughtered one of God's creatures. Arrived home and fed Macy breakfast. Chad goes to UK game. I unpack boxes while Macy plays in the empty ones, and try to get things settled. Put Macy in her crib to watch TV long enough to put a load of laundry in the washing machine. Hear her screaming through the monitor. Rush upstairs to check. Find her leg stuck in the crib rails. Pull and tug, afraid I'm gonna break her kneecap. Rush back down to the kitchen and return with a tub of butter. Slather up her leg to free it from the grip of the crib. Go to clean the butter off her, relieved that her leg isn't broken. Return to her room to find the tub of butter completely empty, and Ali licking his chops. Make a mental note to put the lid back on the butter if ever again in the same situation. Hope that if drinking out of the toilet doesn't kill my dog, then surely Country Crock won't take his life. Unpack some more. Eat lunch and dinner. Realize that Macy's bedtime is approaching, and go to run her bath. Notice that the light switches won't work upstairs. Glance over to see the front door and deadbolt unlocked. Panic! Lock them back and try the light switches again, only to find out they now work! Find it creepy and panic again! Call my Mom and Dad to come over immediately and help me go through the house in case someone uninvited is here in hiding. Cry. Let Mom and Dad in the house. Set the security alarm in case someone realizes they're here and I will know they escaped by the sound of the siren. Dad opens the door. Alarm goes off. I try to punch in codes left by the previous owner. Screen goes blank. I call my brother-in-law the police officer, from the darkness of the bathroom while I'm curled up in the floor, in tears. He sends the officer on duty to come and check the house for me. Officer arrives, we open the door, and the alarm goes off again. The nearby university hears our alarm and calls dispatch. The officer in our house is notified of our alarm via dispatch and tells them he's already here, but the codes won't work. I tell him about the switch box in the basement and we go to check it out, hoping to dismantle the system. Basement door is opened. Alarm goes off again. For the third time. Macy is now crying because of all the commotion. Ali is freaking out and poops in the basement. Calls are coming in for the officer, but he is trapped in our house! He calls dispatch and gets the cell phone number of the man who installed the security system. Man is located in town and is on his way to our rescue. Man arrives, door is opened, alarm goes off for the fourth time. Officer leaves once the the door is open and he knows we are taken care of, man goes to basement and manually shuts off alarm. Battery is dead, explaining the reason for the blank screen and useless codes. Man saves the day by replacing battery, and shows us how to use security alarm. Macy is bathed and put to bed. Finally. I fear our neighbors hate us already. Chad comes home and I tell him of all the events of the day, thankful he wasn't here to witness it because he would've been all flustered. We set the alarm, now knowing how to use it, and go to bed.

In the words of Ty Pennington from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, "Welcome Home, Brammell Family! Welcome Home!"

4 comments:

stacey said...

crying with laughter over here. only you, trishy, only you. LOL! welcome home!

Erin Lynne said...

Too funny! I'll have to ask Mom and Dad if they heard all of the commotion!! =)

nammie said...

oh trish...
the joys of a new home. You will learn all the noises of your new place and soon settle down to them.Just enjoy and thank God that you have moved....

Mindy said...

I just love reading your blogs and while I laughed until tears were rolling down, I just have to say I don't know how you have any sanity left! You always seem to handle the chaotic moments much better than I ever see myself being able too. Thanks for being an inspiration:) Love ya!