Monday, March 8, 2010

Finding Macy.

When Macy was still very small, she took a huge interest in the movie Finding Nemo. Anytime she was upset, that movie would instantly calm her down. Nowadays, I have memorized the dialogue word for word. And it's still her all-time favorite.

A couple months ago, while Macy was giggling in the backseat to Dory's antics (yes, we even take it with us on the road!), the lesson in this movie hit me like a ton of bricks. You see, Nemo is a little fish who seems disabled with a gimpy fin to the outside world. However, he is capable of doing everything else the other fish can do - he just has to try harder... Despite his dad, Marlin, constantly saying, "You think you can do these things but you just can't, Nemo!" Time and time again, he proves how much strength he really does have. And he proves to Marlin that he can do these things when given the chance.

Today was Macy's first day of preschool. She is only 3 1/2 and she is still my baby. She will always be my baby. But as I hung up her backpack and lunchbox in her own little cubby, I decided that I don't want to be Marlin anymore. I don't want to hold my child back simply because I'm afraid she'll get hurt. She is going to grow up whether I want her to or not. And just because she needs some extra help doesn't mean she can't accomplish things other preschoolers can.




My girl is a fighter. And she is going to conquer the world...



7 comments:

natalie said...

Beautiful post Trish, your life has been truly blessed. Miss Macy is amazing! xoxo

Erin Lynne said...

I was wondering if you'd forgotten how to blog... Glad sweet Macy & her mama both made it through today. :-)

Judy said...

Okay..now I am in tears Trish. You both made it through the first of many wonderful days ahead. Macy will always do things her way....she will be just fine and so will you...MOM!

stacey said...

I love this post. I'm very proud of you. And her.

Mindy said...

Trish I have no doubt you are correct when you say Macy will conquer the world. She wins over every one she comes in contact with. She is one of the best miracles I have ever been witness to. Love you both!! And Chad too of course :)

Jessica Barker Gussler said...

You can always make me cry!! I didn't think she was going to school until August! OH MY!! This is an awesome post. I love that she is doing so well. I still think about her cuddling me after knowing me about an hour...she is the sweetest little Nemo! I love her and I love you!

Unknown said...

I love you, Trish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore your little angel too!!!
Just popped by to say "LOVE YOU!"

Tammy :)