Wednesday, May 20, 2009

She Floats Like A Butterfly And Stings Like A Bee.

In my best Vince McMahon voice...

Ahem.

"Iiiiiiiinnn this corner, weighing in at 27 pounds and 6 ounces, from the great state of Kentucky.... Mmmmmmmaaaaacccy Bbbbbrrraaaaaammeelll!!!"

(And here is where you would play the theme to Rocky, and Macy would bounce around with her fists up close to her face.)


Yes, dear blog readers. We've had quite a battle this week. Last Friday, the mittens I ordered and had express shipped, arrived on my doorstep. I was nearly as excited as a kid on Christmas morning while I tore through the packing tape with our front door still wide open and the UPS man still in my front yard.

It was very toasty Friday afternoon, but alas, I dolled up my little girl in waterproof winter mittens. The smallest size available was a 2/4, and that is supposed to reach the elbow to prevent snow and slush from creeping into the wristband of unexpecting toddlers facing the winter elements. However, they're quite large on my darling, and reach her armpits.

She chewed them off in a matter of seconds, and I began to cry. Or scream. I don't remember which. So I called my mom and asked for her help yet again. And she came up with a fancy idea.

I took Macy and the mittens to our local shoe store and purchased a pair of shoestrings. Then we headed to my mom and dad's house. The sewing machine was ready to go when we arrived, and Mom came to our rescue.

She folded down the top of the mitten sleeve, made two button holes in each one, and turned the shoestring into a drawstring! Fabulous!

That night, Macy still managed to chew off the mittens. Houdini she is. But I was persistent in my double-knotting of the string, and she finally gave up. We are now on Night #4 of dry hands, and her thumbs look a million times better than they did a week ago.

(And here is where I would play "Eye of the Tiger" because I won the fight.)

I am currently seeking a patent on our "toddler-proof chewing mittens" in case you're interested.

Oh, I kid.

Now if I can only get her to stop pulling down her ponytails to chew on her hair...

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Way to go Trish! You stuck to your guns and determination won!

stacey woods said...

I dearly love you. You are witty and oh-so-clever, even in the face of adversity. And YAY for Mom! Although she does look pretty cute with those pink snowflake mittens in her mouth. :) So glad her little hands are healing, love 'er heart.

nammie said...

I'm glad her fingers are healing. Maybe she can use her big girl mittens this winter in our big KY snow.