Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's a Woodchuck, It's a Beaver, No... It's Macy!

Okay. As promised, I’m explaining the reason for the bath towels rigged onto Macy’s crib with electrical ties (as mentioned in previous post). Words simply cannot do this story justice, so I’ve added pictures for emphasis.

*Unlike photos on diet pill commercials, these photos have NOT been doctored in any way!*

It started out during the teething phase. I went to check on her once while she was supposed to be taking a nap, and I was horrified to see her face covered in bits of varnish. It only got worse from there. The molars came in, and then bits of wood began to disappear from the side rail of her crib.

And the way her crib is made, I can’t use those plastic teething covers that are advertised all over the place! So I made due with bath towels and electrical ties like a big redneck! I thought I had succeeded in this oral battle, only to be disappointed once more when I discovered the towels had been chewed down to the threads.


Seeing this as yet another choking hazard, I cut the threads away. But it isn’t just her bed or towels that she chews on… She chews on her shirt sleeves until you can wring them out, her pajamas, her socks, her coat, stuffed animals, plastic packages, her hands, our couch! Anything she can! I know she isn’t teething anymore, so I simply cannot hope she just outgrows this stage.

Many a morning, I have found her sitting up in her crib with an arm completely out of it's sopping-wet sleeve. My prayer is that her naked arm has stayed warm up against her belly! And her feet are also ice cold since her now-dampened socks have been flung somewhere around the bed, probably before she started gnawing on her sleeve. For that reason alone, one-piece pajamas with the feet built in have become my friend.

Her pediatrician suggesting seeing a pediatric orthodontist who could fit her for a mouth guard so she doesn’t damage her teeth, but I know she won’t keep a mouth guard in! Our luck, she’d chew on it.

Can anyone offer tips or advice?! Seriously, I need help here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!! that's some serious chomping! did she have splinters in her gums?! ;)

Trish said...

Well, even though our last name isn't "Cleaver", Chad has affectionately given her the nickname "The Beav"!

Maybe wood is a good source of fiber?! I actually don't know if she swallowed any. I swept her mouth and got out what I could, but I never saw any aftermath of it being digested. Maybe we got lucky!